To legally practise psychotherapy in New Zealand, a psychotherapist must be registered and hold an Annual Practising Certificate (APC).
The Board's policy on qualifications and eligibility for registration can be found under Board Policies.
You should have your practising certificate displayed in a prominent position.
Please note that registering with a Board under the HPCAA requires a lot of specific information.
The Psychotherapists Board of Aotearoa New Zealand has tried to make this process as simple as possible yet please keep in mind that you will be required to spend time collating the supporting documentation required by the HPCAA for registration.
1. Complete the online registration (Home page) "Apply for registration". This is located in the top right hand corner of the website. https://secure.pbanz.org.nz/index.php?ApplyforRegistration
If you do not have access to a computer contact the Registrar on (04)918 4727
2. As you near the completion of your online registration you will be given a link to; information form, checklist and appendices (the appendices are templates/forms that need to be completed as part of your registration supporting documentation). The information form, checklist and appendices can also be downloaded from the forms section of the website. www.pbanz.org.nz/index.php?forms
3. Compile the necessary supporting documentation (ensure that you certify documentation where required). Ensure you complete your checklist as that must be sent with your registration information.
4. The Board will review your information at which time they may:
a) require more information to support your application
b) send your registration pack back as it is incomplete
c) approve your registration and APC (provided you meet all the HPCAA requirements)
d) decline your application
5. You will receive notification of one of the above by email.
6. If you application is accepted you will receive your Annual Practising Certificate by mail.
Please note: The Board is unable to process incomplete applications and cannot accept uncertified copies of any official documents, including qualifications. Failure to provide the correct specified documents will cause processing delays.
Keep a copy for your further reference.
1. If you accidentally log yourself out of the website during your registration application - just log back in using your personal login and password (you would have received this after completing page one of the online application). Updates to your application are saved as you make them so find where you were up to and continue with your application.
2. All the forms you are required to print out such as your registration information form, checklist and templates can be found on the forms page within this website.
3. You cannot type into the online forms - you will need to print these out or save them in your own computer first. If you try to make alterations to the forms they will not save.
If you have any questions please email the Registrar on email@example.com or phone (04) 918 4727.