Psychotherapists are required to demonstrate their 'fitness for registration' before beginning practice in New Zealand. In this context, fitness for registration includes:
- Ability to communicate effectively
- Ability to speak and understand English
- Clean disciplinary record
- No serious criminal convictions
- No physical or mental impairment
Once a psychotherapist is registered, if it comes to the attention of the Board that a practitioner has a problem in one or more of the above categories, the Board may take action to protect the health and safety of the public.
Such actions may include; placing conditions on the practitioner's scope of practice, requiring the practitioner to undergo a competence review or health assessment, or suspending the practitioner.